timeline for forms in android

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: timeline for forms in android

Postby koolmusick » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi,

On this matter of forms ,... they would be nice ... but ...

I don't know the first thing about programming, but ...
I have found that a "judicious selection" of filters, along with a repositioning of fields helps along with changing their width helps.
This of course requires me to set up the views I want, and I'm not afraid of this, since I've been using HanDBase a while.

But ... is there some way this could be automated, for the newer user? To create a kind of half-way house?

I'm thinking ... some kind of "view wizard" where I, as the user, could select what orientation I want? I then prioritize my fields I want to see in the listing? I'm given a check box or some way to drag fields around in the order I want? Plus indicate which ones I don't want to see at the time? There could even be a "percentage box" where (for any longer fields) I could indicate what percentage of the available screen estate I want a field to occupy?
When I'm done with the wizard, I hit OK.
Straight away there is my View all done for me, complete with any filters. The default dabases could come with some set views and data so people could see the possibilties.

It's true forms are tres tres convenient, but I also don't think many people realize quite how much you can get done with views and filters. Making them idiot-friendly might help? Just a thought.

Kool Musick
Keep Musick Kool
koolmusick

Postby edwin2011 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:30 am

nice suggestion. In the meantime i purchased handdbase for android. I guess the next step is purchasing the desktop to make it possible to sync to the desktop, right? Would this conflict with the palm version in any way?
btw on palm os i still on v3 (did not take the time to go to v4) can i step straight over to current version android or need i go through v4?
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby curtterp » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:09 am

edwin2011 wrote:nice suggestion. In the meantime i purchased handdbase for android. I guess the next step is purchasing the desktop to make it possible to sync to the desktop, right? Would this conflict with the palm version in any way?
btw on palm os i still on v3 (did not take the time to go to v4) can i step straight over to current version android or need i go through v4?

if I remember right, you need the desktop program to convert the files to v4 so Android can work with them. I do not think that Android can recognize v3 (Dave or Brian, let me know if I am wrong).

You can install the Android Desktop Addon along side of the Palm version, but once you convert to v4, I am not sure if your current Palm HanDBase desktop will reconize the databases.

I did at first have both Windows Mobile and Android Desktops side by side, but the Windows Mobile is history, so I uninstalled both, then re-installed Android for Desktop to keep it a little cleaner.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:43 am

@ Kool Musik,

Interesting suggestions to consider. Thanks.

@ Edwin

Version 3 files should work with HanDBase for Android. You'll run into problems if trying to use version 2.x files. You would definitely want to consider the Plus addon for Android as it will give you the updated HanDBase Desktop 4 and enable syncing. It will install to a different directory than the Palm version since the version number is different. The following should point you in the right direction:

To install any existing HanDBase databases you may already be using to your Android powered device, follow the steps below:

1. Run HanDBase at least once on the phone. This will ensure that the "HanDBase" directory is created on the microSD card.
2. Quit HanDBase using the Menu -> Exit option. This will ensure that no databases are open in the background.
3. Make sure your phone is configured to mount its microSD card to the computer in Mass Storage mode.
4. Connect the phone to the computer via USB.
5. Once the card mounts to the computer as a removable drive, open it and browse to the HanDBase directory. Copy your existing databases to this location.
6. Once the copy is complete, eject the card from the computer.

HanDBase is now ready to use with your existing databases.

First, the HanDBase for Android addons include HanDBase Desktop and various sync components. More information about the functionality of packages as well as 30 day demo downloads are available at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/Android

If you opt to purchase an addon, and it is your first purchase of a HanDBase desktop component, you can do so using the link above. If you are already a registered user of a HanDBase desktop component or addon for another platform, you are entitled to a 33 percent discount on the Android version. To take advantage of this discount, purchase using the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard in your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html. Be sure to select the "Purchase an Additional License / Addon" option in the second step of the wizard to take advantage of the discount.

Once registered, be sure to download the full version from your account and note the 16 digit registration code. You'll need it when installing the full version.

In order to sync the HanDBase databases on your Android phone with one of the Android addons on your Windows based computer, follow the steps below:

1. Make certain the phone is set to mount its microSD card to the computer as a mass storage drive.
2. Be sure to quit HanDBase on the phone using the Menu -> Exit menu option.
3. Connect the phone to the computer via USB.
4. Wait for the card to mount as a drive.
5. Open HanDBase Desktop.
6. Select the Configure -> Android Users menu option. Choose the option to create a partnership. Follow the prompts. The initial sync will occur.
7. For subsequent syncs, use the Configure -> Android Usres -> Synchronize option.

Kind regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby edwin2011 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:56 am

hm, in the past (a couple of years ago) i purchased handbase via palmgear. At first v3 and later on also v4. So i do have a user account at palmgear but not on ddhsoftware. I could provide you with details but i don't think i should do this via the forum :)
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:20 am

Version 3 files should work with HanDBase for Android. You'll run into problems if trying to use version 2.x files. You would definitely want to consider the Plus addon for Android as it will give you the updated HanDBase Desktop 4 and enable syncing. It will install to a different directory than the Palm version since the version number is different. The following should point you in the right direction:

Actually v3 should open fine in Android, but not anything prior.

hm, in the past (a couple of years ago) i purchased handbase via palmgear. At first v3 and later on also v4. So i do have a user account at palmgear but not on ddhsoftware. I could provide you with details but i don't think i should do this via the forum :)

In the good old days companies like PalmGear would send us your email and information and we'd add you to our database, email you an account, etc. So you're likely in our database already but maybe you don't know your login. Go to: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download
and click the lost password link. We'll try to dig it up with the info you provide!
dhaupert

Postby edwin2011 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:35 am

i just did. One problem. V3 (the first purchase) has been made with an e-mail adres that no longer exists so i just the one with the v4 order.
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby edwin2011 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 am

worked!
Done, ordered the full package. Another minor contribution to forms for android :)
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby TedETGbiz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:54 pm

This is a follow up to a post I wrote here http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=653 about 18 months ago...

We are a small consulting company looking at future growth. Specifically, we need a portable way for field staff to track time, expenses & mileage which can be updated in real time. I personally used HanDBase for many years on the Palm, really liked it, and need forms on Android, since I am now using a Droid X & plan to recommend Android to future hires. After studying your forms add-on for iPhone, here are some comments:

--Experienced users should do well with HB using lists, but I would not hand it to a new user without forms to guide them
    --The iPhone form functionality looks like it would work for us
    --Remember what Steve Jobs has done: he has proven that you can charge a premium for high value that is beautiful and works well

IMHO, you are not charging enough for the iPhone forms add-on. You should have doubled the price, instead of charging half of the app cost. Perhaps you have done market research which indicates that I am wrong, but since these are iPhone users, I doubt it. If you add more features for the next version, you should charge more...

Have you considered this?
    1. Come up with a number of the HB on Android users whom you think would be willing to pay $20 (not $5) for an iOS to Android conversion of forms
    2. Ask this question on the forum & via e-mail: are 100 business owners like us willing to put up $100 each to kickstart dev. of Android forms, if it will mean arrival by Q4 of 2011 to Q1 of 2012?
    3. Pledge that if 100 users will buy five form licenses each up front (which is how you get the $100), you will hire a PT guy to convert the iPhone forms to Android
    4. Give those "investors" a lifetime upgrade to future versions for some low price, and offer a money back guarantee
    5. Finally, add the number you get from #1 above to your investor list to calculate a minimum ROI on this idea.

Again, IMHO, you are not assigning the right value to your market leading position in the "portable DB with RAD" niche. There are lots of list managers out there; there is nothing like HanDBase that I can find.
TedETGbiz

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 pm

TedETGbiz wrote:This is a follow up to a post I wrote here http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=653 about 18 months ago...

We are a small consulting company looking at future growth. Specifically, we need a portable way for field staff to track time, expenses & mileage which can be updated in real time. I personally used HanDBase for many years on the Palm, really liked it, and need forms on Android, since I am now using a Droid X & plan to recommend Android to future hires. After studying your forms add-on for iPhone, here are some comments:

--Experienced users should do well with HB using lists, but I would not hand it to a new user without forms to guide them
    --The iPhone form functionality looks like it would work for us
    --Remember what Steve Jobs has done: he has proven that you can charge a premium for high value that is beautiful and works well

IMHO, you are not charging enough for the iPhone forms add-on. You should have doubled the price, instead of charging half of the app cost. Perhaps you have done market research which indicates that I am wrong, but since these are iPhone users, I doubt it. If you add more features for the next version, you should charge more...

Have you considered this?
    1. Come up with a number of the HB on Android users whom you think would be willing to pay $20 (not $5) for an iOS to Android conversion of forms
    2. Ask this question on the forum & via e-mail: are 100 business owners like us willing to put up $100 each to kickstart dev. of Android forms, if it will mean arrival by Q4 of 2011 to Q1 of 2012?
    3. Pledge that if 100 users will buy five form licenses each up front (which is how you get the $100), you will hire a PT guy to convert the iPhone forms to Android
    4. Give those "investors" a lifetime upgrade to future versions for some low price, and offer a money back guarantee
    5. Finally, add the number you get from #1 above to your investor list to calculate a minimum ROI on this idea.

Again, IMHO, you are not assigning the right value to your market leading position in the "portable DB with RAD" niche. There are lots of list managers out there; there is nothing like HanDBase that I can find.

Hi there,

Thanks for the thoughtful followup response. You have given me something to think about for sure here! And you're right that I have not done proper market research- though I've read tons of articles on pricing and the app store, I tend to go more instinctively and anecdotal when deciding on pricing. I have also been averse to price changes in the past, though it may be time to consider it.

Your Kickstarter idea is a good one- honestly if 100 put up a 100 dollar each commitment to purchase, I would be willing to write it myself (and not trust it to a novice p/t programmer!). I question that we'd find that many takers at that cost though- seems really high to me. That said, it only takes a short amount of time to try something like this! I will consider the options here and see if I can come up with something.. Thanks again for the great out-of-the-box ideas!
dhaupert

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android