timeline for forms in android

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: timeline for forms in android

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 am

Good thoughts Curt. Indeed a sync from the device to the home computer would be better, especially if it could be done over the internet. I see very few situations where initiating on the desktop is superior other than perhaps fewer resources used and the setup headaches required. I have implemented this in the past on Windows Mobile for some custom solutions and the problem I invariably ran into was the firewall and router issues. The Computer needed to have a port open and forwarding to it through the routers in order to receive these requests. The amount of support required for just a small number of users was crazy and it proved not to be very practical for this reason.

Now there are solutions out there like LogMeIn which let you connect to your PC/mac through the internet from your device. But the way they do it is that the home computer and the mobile device don't actually connect to each other, they connect to a central server somewhere. So both the mobile and the desktop are making outgoing connections and not needing ports open. The issue there is that first, I'd need to maintain a server to do this, and second, that's a trust issue as that server now could potentially be breached to hack the data as it's going back and forth. I know a lot of medical users would never go for such a solution.

So the current sync solution is kind of the best of what I can realistically offer right now in the way of desktop to device connectivity. For those who want over the internet syncing, that's on the todo list in the form of a cloud sync where we don't sync any device to a computer, but rather to a cloud storage, and the desktop can also access/sync to this cloud storage. That's what I plan on implementing later in the year!
And for those who don't trust/like the cloud option, the current sync will remain an option.
dhaupert

Postby gsman » Fri May 10, 2013 5:23 pm

The sync window has a finished and close button when the sync is complete so it seems pretty obvious when it's finished!

Thanks for your replies....
What am I missing - I never see finished / nor a close button when running a sync - either on the desktop nor the device. Where does this present itself.
gsman

Postby gsman » Sun May 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Regarding sync - a Finished / Close button - I never did receive a response.
Can anyone help out with this?
gsman

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Android