HanDBase for Android 4.6.00 Released!

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Postby dhaupert » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:54 am

Android HanDBase fans, here is an early present from DDH Software! I am so happy to announce the availability of a big update for HanDBase for Android- version 4.6! Here's what is new:

New Features:

Set Value To- Flood fill a single field for all records in current view.
Run Report - View totals, averages, graphs, charts, and more for a single field in the current view.
Copy/Move Record(s) To.. - copy or move a record or group of records to another database with the same structure. Great for archiving old records.
Desktop Connect- connect via a web browser over wifi to your HanDBase app and download, upload, import and export databases.
WiFi Sync Support- synchronize with our conduit over wifi instead of the cable. Works even with newer devices that don't support the drive mapping feature required for a cable sync!
Relationship Field Recalculate Option - Now when you have a relationship field that is pointing to a calculated or conditional field in another database, HanDBase will first recalculate the value using only the records that belong to that relationship. Option can be disabled in preferences.
Thumb Scroller in List View - when scrolling through the list of records, a thumb scroller will appear for fast scrubbing.

Improvements:

Signature Field - now supports smooth drawing/signing and scales the signature to appear bigger on screen than is stored in the database.
Saving File crash protection - when a file was being saved, if the program happened to crash or be closed by the OS, the file being written to could be corrupt or have 0 bytes in size. In this update, we save to a temporary file and if successful, then rename/move to the proper file name. This prevents worst case data corruption scenarios.
Import From CSV File Selector- increased size of files listed so they are more easily pressed on high-res devices.

Bug Fixes:
- When creating a new record from the Edit Record screen, if you had the focus on a text input field that field value would show up in the new record on Jelly Bean devices.
- When jumping to the previous or next record in the Edit Record screen, if you had the focus on a text input field that field value would show up in the previous or next record, overwriting it's previous value (also only on Jelly Bean devices).
- When encryption was enabled on a float or calculated field, the resulting encrypted database would fail to be encrypted properly and would not be able to be decrypted again.
- If a list view is scrolled from the right, when you return to the database after closing and reopening, your field list does not match/line up with the field values below.
- Couldn't see databases with non-english characters in file name
- Time/Date Box issues addressed:
- Change Am/Pm without changing anything else, and the value won't save/change when OK pressed
- Change date or time value text manually by editing box, doesn't update unless you tap another editing box in the field before pressing OK.
- The No Date option on the date picker did not work in Android 4.x

As you can see, this version contains many of the features ranked highest in requests from all of you who have voted on the uservoice site! The big exceptions to this are custom forms support/designer and External field support (e.g., photos, dialer, maps, etc). The latter is one that I plan to develop next and the former is one I've spoken about many times on the forums with you. I want to work on forms, but right now the customer base for our product is still too small to support the development costs. I am hopeful and optimistic that with this update and several to follow, the next few months will see some more rapid growth of customers and we can revisit the forms question at that time.

If you are using any of the desktop packages that sync to Android, an update is available to you for that package as well. Just visit:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download

and download and install the latest version. The documentation has also been updated to reflect the new features:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=95

If you like the update and want to see lots more like it in 2013, please post a positive review on Google Play. And recommend us to your friends, coworkers, and family members. It would be greatly appreciated and help us grow this product in the future!
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase for Android 4.6.00 Released!

Postby curtterp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 pm

waiting for Google Play Store to populate with the latest version
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 pm

and the update has just populated through the servers......

All is good :D
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby kronhead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Much appreciated!!

Dan
kronhead

Postby dhaupert » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Glad to hear it is live- seemed to take a little longer than last time, but still just a few hours!

Please let me know what you think about the new version. It's been a labor of love the last few months!

A few items of note:

- Conduits on Windows have all been updated on our site- both trial and registered versions to support the Wifi option for syncing.
- Documentation has been updated on the site.
- Mac conduit update has not yet been released, but should be available early next week.
- Amazon app store takes a few days to a week to approve an update so hopefully it will be live next week!
dhaupert

Postby big-red » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Looking very good!!

Love the new WiFi sync. WebDav was a great interim fix, but the new method is so much easier. I have found occasionally that the connection can't be found, but restarting the desktop seems to fix it. Maybe the connection is timing out?

I deleted the old user profile for this device that I'd set up for WebDav before it could connect. It was trying to access the same address previously entered, and didn't like it.

You mention exporting / importing etc via a web browser. Is this up and running yet? How would we go about this?

Nick
big-red

Postby dhaupert » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:33 pm

big-red wrote:Looking very good!!

Love the new WiFi sync. WebDav was a great interim fix, but the new method is so much easier. I have found occasionally that the connection can't be found, but restarting the desktop seems to fix it. Maybe the connection is timing out?

I deleted the old user profile for this device that I'd set up for WebDav before it could connect. It was trying to access the same address previously entered, and didn't like it.

Indeed, the address isn't always the same as it was the previous sync. Depends on how often the router renews IP addresses and whether it has a preference to keep the same one or switch. They all differ and that's why I prompt so that you have a chance to check and change it before syncing.
You mention exporting / importing etc via a web browser. Is this up and running yet? How would we go about this?
Nick

On the desktop you can open any web browser and visit the address given by the Android device. You'll find a nice web page with a listing of your databases and options to export, backup, import, and install databases. You may notice that this web page also supports installing images and forms, which I decided to put in place for the future :)
dhaupert

Postby gsman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Port 8080......
I don't see where you allowed the usage of a port other than 8080.....
Please tell me where that is.
gsman

Postby dhaupert » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: port 8080, it isn't configurable at this point. It has never been configurable on iOS and I have never been asked to make it so on there so I didn't even think about it, honestly!

Is it because of firewall issues or some other background process?

Blessings,
Dave Haupert
dhaupert@ddhsoftware.com http://www.ddhsoftware.com
dhaupert

Postby MidlandDeltic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks for ther update - brings the software almost up to Palm :)

However, I am getting repeated instances of "Cannot directly open this database" when having worked between linked databases, and when closing and restarting Handbase the db so affected has disappeared from the device, requiring re-install (from Dropbox). I have had to do this at least 6 times today, when accessing via link field and direct from the home page.

Also, a plea : on the dialogue for setting multiple field values, can the default be "Set records within filter" and NOT "Set all records" - for obvious reasons (approx 10,000 in my case :( )

Cheers

Sean
MidlandDeltic

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android