iOS Sync Issue - Need your help - Information Needed.

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

iOS Sync Issue - Need your help - Information Needed.

Postby curtterp » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 pm

I know that there is a thread with this error with some things to try, but this thread I am dedicating to gathering information on the devices people are seeing this error.

If you are getting the Desktop Connect Error "To use this feature You must Connect to a WiFi Network", and you do not see the Local Network setting under HanDBase settings->Privacy, please reply in this thread with the following information.

• Which Device do you have? (iPhone/iPad/iPod)
  • Which generation do you have (iPhone 10/11/12, iPad Pro/Air, 2/3/4/ generation)
  • Which iOS did you first have the problem
  • Which iOS do you have installed now
  • Did you reinstall HanDBase after installing the latest version
  • Do you remember which iOS you were last able to sync?

If you prefer not to post your information, you can Private Message me with your information. I will not disclose what you have.

I am trying to get a handle on any pattern that has this problem.

Please only post the device information here, please, no questions. I want to be able to collate the information without having to go through posts that do not have any information.

Thank you in advance to everyone that provides information. I feel bad that you are having issues with this, and hopefully, the information provided will help to find a common denominator so we can get closer to a solution.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Re: iOS Sync Issue - Need your help - Information Needed.

Postby glenwf » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am

I found this info. Don't know if it is of any value. dated 2021-07-26.

https://itoolab.com/tips/how-to-downgra ... to-14-4-2/
After Apple released the latest iOS version a few hours ago, many iPhone users have given feedback about some problems with iOS 14.7. Here are some common issues:
iTunes broken iTunes sync.
glenwf

Postby zllllo@gmail.com » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:18 pm

Which Device do you have: iphone
Which generation do you have: 12 mini
Which iOS did you first have the problem: 14.5.1 (went from 14.4.x to 14.5.1)
Which iOS do you have installed now: 14.7.1
Did you reinstall HanDBase after installing the latest version: no, but on 14.5.1, already tried reinstalling and did not work .. tried all the other suggestions as well to no avail (like resetting the network)
Do you remember which iOS you were last able to sync? no, but think it was 14.4.x

Like others have said, I don't think the Handbase app is properly requesting local network access (most likely it needs to be rebuilt with the current ios sdk). All of my other apps are more recently updated, and appear in the settings.
zllllo@gmail.com

Postby graemesmith1960 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:49 am

3 devices. iPhone XS on 14.7, iPad Mini 4 on iOS 14.7 and iPad Pro 2020 12.9 inch on iOS 14.7
Only an issue on iPad Pro. Worked on iOS previous to 14.5 (I think) but had to reinstall on iPad Pro under iOS 14.5 due to HandBase crashing when trying to open an encrypted database (another thread! Can't transfer an encrypted database to an iPad Pro as it will crash every time).

Basically it worked fine on iOS before 14.5 and survives iOS upgrades. It is only an issue if you need to install on iOS 14.5 or higher. I'm just hoping I don't have to re-install on my phone or iPad mini. HandBase is frankly useless on an iPad Pro as you can't transfer encrypted databases onto it and no wifi sync. Cabled sync through iTunes works fine as long as the databases are not encrypted.

I've tried the Network Reset mentioned in another thread but no luck.
graemesmith1960

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:17 pm

zllllo@gmail.com wrote:Like others have said, I don't think the Handbase app is properly requesting local network access (most likely it needs to be rebuilt with the current ios sdk). All of my other apps are more recently updated, and appear in the settings.

Hi,

It would be great if that were the case. Sadly the reality is that the app doesn't request permission for this specific action, its supposed to happen automatically by the OS when an app tries to access the local network.

I have discovered that certain calls like the one to get the local IP address don't always get the permission prompt- some users (like my main device) triggered the prompt and others (like my second device) do not.

What I learned scouring the Apple forums is that there is a way people have to trick the device into prompting before needing the access (basically by doing a fake network request). I've built a new version with this capability and I'm trying to get it all updated with the latest SDKs and into Testflight. Once I have verified it myself on my secondary device I'll invite some others with this issue to try it and hopefully we'll have a new build to submit to Apple!

I have some classes this weekend but hopefully by the weekend following I'll have some progress made and something to report.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby zllllo@gmail.com » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:21 pm

Thank you Dave! Looking forward to your next update. Aside from this, the app is working well.
zllllo@gmail.com

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi all,

Posted an update on our new Reddit subreddit. Please visit here for the latest: https://www.reddit.com/r/handbase/comme ... available/

I'm planning on transferring over our forums to Reddit to better be able to moderate and maintain the forums. Hopefully you'll come over and continue your discussions there and let me know if there are any challenges.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch